Slow cooker honey sesame chicken is the perfect recipe for those days when your schedule is packed.
We all have those days. Work is demanding, the kids need to be at 3 different places all at the same time and the dog needs to go to the vet. The last thing on your mind is standing in the kitchen for hours cooking a healthy meal your family will love.
On days like these, the slow cooker is my best friend. Knowing that I can toss a few ingredients in the slow cooker, turn it on and walk away is wonderful.
I used chicken thighs in this sesame chicken dish, I find them to be more tender and juicy. You could easily substitute chicken breasts if you prefer. If you you use chicken breasts, I would begin to check them about 1/2 way through the cooking time, they can easily dry out. The chicken on it’s own is flavorful, but the honey sesame sauce is the star of this dish!
Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
The cook time on this easy honey sesame chicken recipe is 2 hours on high or 3 – 4 hours on low. Having 2 cook times makes it easy to schedule time for this recipe.
This is an easy recipe to double if you want to freeze some for another day. It is also simple to cut in half for a smaller dinner.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6 - 8)
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup honey (I use local)
- ½ cup soy sauce (can use low sodium if watching salt intake)
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Red Chile Oil (if you don't have this, double the EVOO)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp corn starch
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 TBL sesame seeds
- Place chopped yellow onion, garlic, honey, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, EVOO, Red Chile Oil and ginger in slow cooker.
- Stir to combine and make sure the honey is mixed well.
- Add chicken and turn to coat.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
- When chicken is done, place on chopping board and shred.
- Take the sauce and place it in a sauce pan. Add the ½ tsp corn starch to ½ cup of the chicken sauce and stir well until all of the lumps are gone. Add the corn starch mixture to the sauce and heat on medium heat until thick.
- Add the chicken to the sauce, heat well.
- Serve over rice. Top with green onions and sesame seeds.
Chicken in Honey Sesame Sauce
When I serve this chicken dish with honey sesame sauce, I like to have a side of steamed broccoli and an Asian style cucumber salad. It is the perfect meal.
These simple ingredients are probably in your pantry, so make this easy slow cooker honey sesame chicken tonight!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and receive your FREE ebook:
6 Steps to Overcome Organic Overwhelm